Golden Yellow Pork, Shrimp and Root Vegetables Egg Rolls
Egg rolls: Shrimp Pork Egg Roll
Egg rolls… Everybody’s favorite… Easy to eat… can eat blank, eat by dipping in sweet ‘n sour salt, eat with vermicelli noodles, eat by rolling inside green leaves like sweet choy or mustard greens baby leaves,… Just couple dollars, we can get them everywhere in Asian restaurants but how about get the ones suiting our tastes. It’s seem uneasy. Here is an idea how we can prepare ones for ourselves. Go and try… if it doesn’t succeed first time, we can try others.
How spring rolls can be done?
Egg roll wrapper sheets
I used Chinese egg roll wrappers to wrap the egg rolls but they were run out so I used additional Vietnamese rice papers (bánh tráng)
Egg rolls’ filling
- Root vegetables: carrot, yellow onion, shallots, taro root, jicama root; peel the skins and then shred them.
- Meat, seafood…: shrimp (minced), ground pork, egg.
- Seasoning: sugar, salt, pepper
- Misc.: mung bean thread.
- Add all them together in a large bowl and mix well.
- Picture: mixed egg roll filling
Egg yolk is used sealing the roll after rolling
- Getting an egg, break it and then separate egg white and egg yolk.
- Add egg white to the filling and mix well.
- Keep egg yolk in a little bowl. (picture below)
Wrapping egg rolls
- Place egg roll filling on a wrapper sheet.
- Fold, roll and seal them.
Frying egg rolls
- Pre-heat the oil while wrapping the roll.
- When the oil is hot (medium high), place egg roll in one by one.
- Frying egg rolls on one side and then turn to the other side when they turn golden color.
- Cooking oil: Lou Ana frying oil
- Picture: uncooked egg rolls were frying in a saucepan
Ready to eat
- Remove egg roll off the oil when they’re turned golden.
- Might place them on a paper towel to get rid of any excess oil.
- Here is my final dish of fried egg rolls. How is that? Look yummy, right?
Egg rolls: Shrimp Pork Egg Roll (Cha Gio Tom Thit) by JQ Food.
It’s not so bad when tasting but does this way is the right way? I don’t know but there is one thing I known for sure that I can eat them without throwing up or abdominal pain lately.
Written by B.T.